Sue Debt Collectors Michigan

You may need to Sue Debt Collectors in Michigan if you are a state resident and continue to be harassed. This page will discuss the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act as well as your rights under the FDCPA.

Many consumers do not understand that there are laws to protect them against debt collectors who break the law and creditors who blemish their credit reports. When you experience these problems, you need an attorney with the knowledge and experience that knows how to best utilize these laws to neutralize those who overstep their boundaries and to protect you and your good name.

Debts covered under the FDCAP include personal debts, and household debts. This includes debts owed for the purchase of a car, medical care, or for credit cards.

A collector may only contact you in person, by mail, or telephone. A debt collector may not contact you at an unreasonable time or place though. Debt collectors may not contact you at work either if they know that the employer disapproves.

You can stop a debt collector from contacting you with a written letter to the collection agency telling them to stop. Once they receive that letter, they may only contact you to tell you that there will be no further contact. They may also contact you if the debt collector or creditor intends to take a specific action.

A debt collector may not contact third parties about your debt, except when trying to find out where you live or work. Additionally, if you have an attorney, the debt collector may contact the attorney as well. As a general rule, a debt collector cannot disclose that you owe money.

A debt collector must identify himself/herself as a debt collector and must provide you with a statement that he/she is working in the capacity of a debt collector. Within 5 days from the first contact, the debt collector must send you a written notice telling you the amount of your debt and the name of the creditor that you owe money to.

A debt collector may not contact you if, within 30 days after you are first contacted, you send the collection agency a letter stating that you are not responsible for the debt. However, a collector can renew collection activities if you are sent proof of a debt, such as a bill or invoice.

If this article reminds you of a problem that you or a loved one are experiencing, and are a Michigan resident, you may need to Sue Debt Collectors Michigan.

Source by Byron Roberts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *